Toasted Coconut Kettle Corn is a luxury twist on a classic, old-fashioned, sweet treat. Make it extra special with these unique heirloom popcorns!
Kettle corn has been a staple at fairs and craft shows in North America since the 18th century. Back in the day, you would cook it in a large cast iron kettle, stirred with a giant wooden spoon. Modern kettle corn chefs make it in a lighter weight stainless steel or copper kettles. For this recipe use a regular saucepan for near-perfect results.
In this recipe we use Fireworks Harvest Blend Heirloom Popcorn. Heirloom seeds are non-GMO seeds that remain unmodified throughout the years. This gives us the classic popcorn flavour that our grandparents enjoyed. To get true heirloom flavour with this kettle corn recipe, Fireworks is the way to go.
We’ve flavoured this kettle corn with Saltwest Naturals Toasted Coconut Sea Salt. Saltwest Naturals makes all their salts on the British Colombia coast near Sooke. We love the all-natural flavour of these, and the very interesting salt blends they make. This recipe is sure to suit all your snack cravings.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 20 min
Skill Level: Easy
Servings: 10 cups
- Large stovetop pot with lid
- Large spoon
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup Fireworks Harvest Blend Heirloom Popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup white sugar
- In a large pot add vegetable oil and 4 popcorn kernels and place on the stove over medium heat.
- Once the 4 kernels have popped the oil is up to temperature. Stir in the sugar and Saltwest Naturals Toasted Coconut Sea Salt until mixed.
- Add the remaining Fireworks Harvest Blend Heirloom Popcorn kernels
- Put a lid on the pot and shake continuously over the burner.
- Once the popping has slowed to every 2 seconds remove from heat and pour into a big bowl.
- Serve and Enjoy.