Ultimate Fundraising Ideas to Raise Money For Your Cause.
The ultimate fundraising ideas for your group, non-profit organization, church, school, team, or event that are unique, easy, and enjoyable. Check out our Step-by-Step Fundraising Guide.
Fundraising Ideas That Work For Any Organization
Welcome to the world of fundraising! There’s a lot of great information here for you… we’ve been working for years with fundraising organizations of all kinds. Cupper’s Coffee & Tea has helped our fundraising partners raise thousands of dollars. We have a lot of experience, and we’re ready to share it all with you.
Fundraising has become an important part of our communities. Many organizations use fundraising as part of their on-going funding strategies. Some groups that our team of experts have helped include:
- Sports teams
- Family Services
- Seniors Facilities
- Pet Rescues
- Health Services
- Social Services
- Arts associations
- Music education
You name it, somebody’s raising funds for it!
We also understand that charities and non-profits have been some of the hardest hit by COVID-19. We want you to succeed, and we have fundraising ideas that work, some of them designed specifically for the COVID-19 era. The Cupper’s fundraising team has developed a guide to help you along the way.
Are you feeling overwhelmed by fundraising obligations? Not sure you can achieve what you want to achieve for your group or non-profit? It may be easier and more fun than you think. Fundraising can be beneficial and fun in more ways than just the “funds” part.
Table of Contents
- Considerations When Choosing a Fundraiser
- How to Build a Successful Fundraising Team
- What Kind of Fundraiser Should We Do?
- How Long Should A Fundraising Campaign Run For?
- How Do I Set Fundraising Goals?
- How Do I Promote a Fundraising Campaign?
- How Do I Track Orders and Donations?
- How Do I Fulfill And Distribute Orders?
- Should I Follow Up With My Fundraising Donors?
Considerations When Choosing a Fundraiser
Putting together a successful fundraising campaign involves planning. You’ll be glad you took a few minutes to review your plans. We have created this guide to help you build a fundraiser for your organization from the ground up.
How Do I Build a Successful Fundraising Team?
We find that successful fundraising campaigns have one major factor in common. They have a strong leader.
A strong leader needs to commit for the entire length of the campaign. They also need to have strong decision making skills and accept responsibility for the campaign. Finally, they should be a strong leader who has experience organizing a team to achieve a goal.
Your team should be passionate about your cause and your goals. Supporter engagement is dependent on the involvement of your team. A strong leader will organize a team based on their strengths and experience.
Do you have members with sales experience or business connections? Send them to seek out donations from businesses or cold-call for donations. Does someone have a financial background? Assign them to manage incoming donations. Does a volunteer have a marketing background? They can be your promotion and advertising guru.
What Kind of Fundraiser Should We Do?
There is no wrong type of fundraising. Cupper’s has worked with a variety of organizations with many different goals. It is important to be strategic in your choice to best support the needs of your group or organization.
Fundraising can be as simple as seeking out cash donations. In addition, it can cover a range of incentivized sales or events, like cookie sales or charity runs.
Here are some detailed breakdowns of popular fundraising methods to take into consideration.
Incentivized fundraisers involve selling a product to earn fundraising profits. These work either through catalogue sales, or customized products.
- Catalog sales are often used by schools and sports teams. This is because it offers structure, presentation and a packaged style. These fundraisers involve partnering with a company that has a curated product catalog. The company handles the products and profit margins. This allows you to focus on direct selling, and not worrying about the product. Because of the large size of these fundraising businesses, it is hard to customize a program.
- Direct sales involve selling a product directly to your supporters. This can be a market, pop-up or door-to-door. You will have more control as your organization purchases and owns these items. This may involve the management of inventory, which can mean higher overhead costs. We recommend taking a poll of your supporters… this helps to see what they would purchasing from a fundraiser. Knowing your target demographics definitely assists in your choice of products.
- Percent of sales fundraisers have similarities to catalogue and direct sales. The fundraiser partners with a business to apply a discount to products. The discount then turns into profit for the organization when items are re-sold. Depending on the business selected, you will have a varied level of customization. This fosters community connection between a small business and organization. Cross-promotion opportunities can lead to increased engagement for all involved. This is clearly a win-win!
Raffle and Auction Fundraising
Secondly, an auction is a public sale of goods. It can be either a live or silent auction. A live auction involves an auctioneer whose role is to call and respond to bids made on items. These are successful when an event has sold well. A good auctioneer ensures participants enjoy bidding against each other. A silent auction has items for public display and patrons write down their bids. The silent auction usually has a scheduled end time when bids are closed. At the end of both auction types, items go to the highest bidder. Always check your local rules and regulations to ensure any auction complies.
If you are offering a car wash or mowing lawns you are doing a service fundraiser. This method involves volunteers offering up a skill or service for fundraising dollars. This is a cost-effective way to raise funds but uses a lot of volunteer time. Materials should be minimal, while the labour is donated. It’s important to have a low-cost service option that creates a lot of traffic. Don’t ask for too much per transaction, but do allow for tips and donations. Volunteer engagement and strong promotional material is the name of the game!
Donation Collection Fundraising
Donation collecting is the most difficult form of fundraising. A large team of energetic volunteers is important. They should be comfortable with face to face meetings and often rejection. They need to be willing to go door to door and ask for donations. There are also options like direct mail, text-to-donate, or online options.
How Long Should A Fundraising Campaign Run?
Short Term Fundraising
Long Term Fundraising
How Do I Set Fundraising Goals?
- Specific – Your goal should zero in on a specific area of your organization.
- Measurable – You should have clear metrics measuring the outcome of your fundraiser.
- Achievable – Make sure to set goals that your organization is able to reach.
- Relevant – Your fundraising goals should connect to the mission of your organization.
- Time Bound – Every goal should have a deadline.
This is the “why” stage of the goal setting process. In the planning stages of your fundraiser it is important to check in with your vision and mission. Make sure that the goals you are setting align with the principles of your organization. Confirm that this fundraiser will have a positive impact on its beneficiaries.
Set a clear start date and communicate that to your supporters. Then set a deadline for when you want to wrap up your fund raiser. This will help your team track its progress and stay motivated. Time-line setting is important even for long term fundraising. A fundraising project with no end date feels like a burden to your volunteers and supporters.
How Do I Promote A Fundraising Campaign?
Love it or hate it, social media allows for easy access to large audiences if used well. First step is to make sure to use the right platform… you need to learn what applications are being used most by your followers. The best way to find the right marketing tools for your fundraiser is to know your target audience.
How Do I Track Orders or Donations?
How Do I Fill And Distribute Orders?
- How can we keep our team safe?
- Do we need to store products?
- Do we deliver products or will supporters pick them up?
- Do we have a designated pick up spot?
- Will we need identification or proof of sale upon pickup or delivery?