You’re about to find out 🙂
We love it because it’s a beautiful blend of art and science.
(Included in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art, the Smithsonian, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.)
We love it because the Chemex was perfect right out of the gate.
Since the original patent in 1943, it hasn’t required changing or improving.
You gotta love that kind of brilliance.
We love Chemex because it’s simple to use:
Filter, coffee, and water that’s poured after sitting 30 seconds post-boil.
We love Chemex because it takes a little time and attention.
Only about 4 minutes worth, and it’s one of the best ways you’ll find to spend 4 minutes.
(Add the coffee into the filter, and slowly pour water over the grinds in a mesmerizing spiral pattern.)
It’s hypnotic, it’s relaxing, it’s a zen thing.
Last but not least, we love the Chemex because it makes a great cup of coffee.
Our hope is that you, too, enter the “Chemex Zone,” an inner world of quiet ease and peace.
(BTW, make sure and try our excellent Tanzania Peaberry in the Chemex. Beyond good.)
2. Use Chemex filters – they’ve been washed four times, which means you get all the coffee flavour and none of the paper flavour.
3. Use 1 rounded tbsp for every 5 oz cup. Go stronger if you like! Chemex brews clean and strong, never bitter.
4. Bring your water to boil, then let stand for 30 seconds.
5. Pour a small amount of water over coffee and watch it “bloom.”
6. After the bloom, slowly pour more water into grinds until the water level is about 1/2″ away from the top edge of the glass.
7. Slowly pour the rest of the water – this is where the spiral pattern comes in – over the grounds.
8. Remove the filter and grinds. Makes excellent compost.
9. Take time to enjoy the aroma and flavours of your coffee. Chemex Coffee is one of life’s small (but wonderful) indulgences.