8 Best Camping Coffee Makers of 2022
Coffee is 100% a cornerstone of camping culture. There’s nothing like waking up in the great outdoors and enjoying a hot cup of coffee! It’s the perfect way to get your day started and get you feeling energized for your outdoor adventures.
For coffee fanatics, the biggest struggle is making the perfect cup without all their at-home gadgets. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to achieve your ideal brew in the wild!
In this article, we will share our easiest tips for making and drinking coffee while camping. Keep reading to learn all about the best methods and products for crafting camp coffee.
Enjoy Your Coffee Immediately
Bringing coffee on camping trips doesn’t have to mean loading out all sorts of extra gear. The easiest and fastest way to enjoy coffee in the wild is to drink instant coffee! Not only is instant coffee highly efficient, but it takes up very little room in your pack.
But wait – don’t you lose quality when you drink instant coffee?
It depends on the products you are using! Instant coffee may seem low-grade to some coffee enthusiasts. However, there are plenty of options out there that provide both quality and convenience.
Here are our top two products for campers looking for instant coffee alternatives:
BAD Coffee® Brew Bags
You can’t get more convenient camp coffee than this! We designed BAD Coffee Brew Bags to be fresh and flavorful. You get all the efficiency of instant coffee without sacrificing quality.
At Cupper’s, we package our brew bags only a few short days after roasting. This ensures you get the maximum flavor. We seal the brew bags using a natural nitrogen flush. This is both odorless and tasteless and guarantees your coffee will stay fresh.
How Do I Use BAD Coffee® Brew Bags?
You can brew BAD Coffee Brew Bags in 3 easy steps:
- Drown: Place the bag in your BADest camp mug and cover it in hot water.
- Dunk: Leave the bag to brew for at least 3 minutes, but the longer the better!
- Drink: Once you have allowed your coffee to gather all the dark magic of the BAD brew bags, enjoy!
Plus, the brew bags are super convenient to store in your camping supplies and pack. Make sure to always take any trash or recyclables out of the campsite with you when you leave. The world can’t handle bears getting the BAD Coffee buzz!
BAD Coffee® Nitro Cold Brew Cans
Your day in nature can’t start any better than with a cold brew kick!
BAD Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Cans are a great alternative to instant coffee. Simply keep them cool and crack them open when you are ready for your morning coffee! Our cold brew cans are perfect for camping on hot summer days. They help you cool off while also giving you a boost. The creamy infusion with nitrogen bubbles makes this drink a real treat!
How to Store Nitro Coffee Cans While Camping
BAD Coffee Nitro Cold Brew Cans are best served…well, cold!
Bringing our cold brew cans on camping trips is a good option when you can park close to your campsite. This way, you can pack a cooler to keep your delicious cold brew frosty and ready for drinking.
To store BAD Coffee Nitro Cold Brew Cans:
- Use an Insulated Cooler: Coolers with insulated walls can keep your drinks cool for upwards of 5 days.
- Fill It With Freeze Packs: Freeze packs help to keep the internal temperature of the cooler as low as possible. Plus, they are reusable and don’t create a mess like ice.
- Keep It in the Shade: Protect your cooler from the sun! To maximize internal coolness, keep that bad boy in the shade at all times.
How to Brew Coffee Outside
Nothing quite beats the feeling of waking up outside, getting a pot of water boiling, and drinking your morning coffee as the sun rises. Brewing coffee outside is remarkably easy when you have the right tools!
You’ll need 3 essential items to brew camp coffee:
- Coffee: You can’t make a camp brew without the coffee! Bring your favorite ground coffee, or bring whole beans and a small hand-grinder for a fresher taste.
- Brewing Device: There are many devices for making coffee in the wilderness. The best options will be highly portable and manually operated.
- Boiling Water: No camping trip is complete without a pot for boiling water!
For the coffee part of this equation, we recommend enjoying a cup of Gravel Bar Coffee.
The Gravel Bar Coffee is a creation of Josh, Cupper’s own outdoor-loving master roaster!
Crafted with his love for fly fishing in mind, this coffee offers comforting notes of chocolate and campfires. It’s the perfect brew for outdoorsmen looking to start their day off with a bang. Psssst…are you a fly-fishing aficionado too? Cupper’s offers a selection of fly-fishing goods as well! Check out our Gink Fly Fishing Floatant, and Stroft Leaders and Tippets.
Without any further ado, here are our top 6 products for brewing coffee in the outdoors!
Aeropress Coffee Maker
The Aeropress Coffee Maker is one of the best and most suitable options for brewing coffee in the outdoors. You can also try the smaller Aeropress Go. Both offer strong coffee outdoors. Both have an all-in-one design. The Go also includes a mug that doubles as a carrying case. Plus, it includes a plastic clamshell for storing filters!
The device can make one 8 oz. serving per brew, making it ideal for individual use.
How Do I Use an Aeropress?
- Assemble the Aeropress: To assemble the device, first push the plunger out of the chamber. Then place a filter in the filter cap and twist the filter cap onto the chamber.
- Add the Coffee: Once assembled, the chamber should be placed on top of the mug. Add your scoop of coffee into the chamber.
- Add the Water: Add hot water to the appropriate level over the top of the coffee and stir for at least 10 seconds.
- Plunge: Return the plunger to the chamber and slowly press downwards until it hits the bottom.
Cafflano Kompact Coffee Maker
The Cafflano Kompact Coffee Maker is another type of Aeropress-style coffee maker. The design of the Cafflano Kompact makes it super-easy to use. It also comes with its own storage container. Made of lightweight materials, the Kompact is perfect for fitting inside a camping pack. It even collapses to make storage all the more convenient.
Simply brew the coffee in the Cafflano Kompact and press it into your favorite camp mug!
How To Use a Cafflano Kompact Coffee Maker
The Cafflano Kompact is very straightforward to use. Follow these 3 easy steps:
- Brew: Add your coffee and hot water and allow to steep for at least 3 minutes.
- Add a Filter: Add the filter and cap to the top of the device.
- Flip and Press: Flip the device so the filter is facing downwards. Hold over top of your favorite mug and press down slowly.
The Cafflano Kompact is also one of the easiest brewers to clean. Just add some water, give it a shake, and dump it.
The French Press is an iconic device used for brewing coffee. With some modern modifications, French presses are an excellent travel companion for camping trips.
The BruTrek Double Shot doubles as both a French Press and a travel mug! These travel mugs are ideal for your next outdoor adventure. There is even a hidden compartment for extra grounds or loose tea. With a screw-on lid and snap-down cover over the mouth, your coffee is safe from spills in nature. The Double Shot is perfect for a sunrise hike—the built-in French press allows you to brew once you have reached your scenic destination.
16 ounces isn’t big enough for you or you don’t want to share? BruTrek also makes a 40 ounce model, the BaseCamp French Press.
How Do I Use a French Press?
To properly use a French Press, follow these key steps:
- Measure the Coffee: When using a French Press, you want to use roughly 1 tablespoon of coffee per cup of water. Because there is no filter, using the correct measurements is twice as important.
- Fill Halfway: Once you have added the coffee to the bottom of the press, fill halfway with water. Pause to let the coffee bloom (bubble). The fresher the roast, the more the coffee will bloom.
- Finish Filling and Steep: Once the bloom has stopped, fill the remaining space with hot water. Allow the coffee to steep for at least 3 minutes.
- Plunge: Insert the plunger into the device and press slowly.
Enamel Percolators and Boilers
At Cupper’s, we carry a large line of high-quality enamelware for all your camping needs! The Enamel Percolator is a classic old-school piece of camping equipment. Its retro vibe is perfect for bringing back all your camping nostalgia.
How To Use an Enamel Percolator
An enamel percolator may seem confusing at first, but it’s very simple to use. Here are the 5 steps for using an Enamel Percolator:
- Remove the Basket: Inside the percolator is a basket and tube. Remove these first.
- Add Water: Once the basket is removed, add water inside the percolator. Use one cup of water per cup of coffee, and make sure to include an extra cup of water to be boiled away. Stop just below the pouring spout.
- Fill the Basket: Open up the basket, add a filter, and add two teaspoons of ground coffee per serving.
- Place on Heat: Return the basket to the percolator and begin heating to a boil. Boil until the water begins to percolate—this can be seen through the bubble at the top of the percolator. Then partly remove the percolator from the heat so it simmers. Allow it to continue percolating for around 10 minutes.
- Pour and Enjoy: Pour and enjoy in the great outdoors.
How To Make Cowboy Coffee
Looking to brew a rich cup of cowboy coffee? Check out our Enamelware Boilers. Making coffee in one of these bad boys couldn’t be easier. Throw some coarse ground coffee into your boiler with some water and let it boil. When you are ready to drink, just pour into your matching enamel cup. Most of the grounds will settle to the bottom of the boiler.
How do I make Cowboy Coffee?
The best way to make cowboy coffee is to follow these 3 simple steps.
- Fill boiler up with water
- Add coarsely ground coffee
- Boil for 5-10 minutes
- Pour into the cup and serve. Most of the coffee grounds will settle to the bottom of your boiler.
Interested in learning more about Cowboy Coffee? Check out our in depth article to learn more!
Bellman Espresso Maker
How do I brew espresso with the Bellman Espresso Maker?
Brewing with your Bellman is easy – just follow these 4 steps.
- Fill the boiler with water
- Loosely pack coffee into the brewing chamber
- Place Bellman on your lit camp-stove burner.
- Once the pressure has built up and the coffee is brewed twist the knob on the spout to dispense your espresso.
How do I steam milk with the Bellman Espresso Maker?
While you are brewing your espresso you can steam your milk at the same time. Check that your Bellman is up to pressure and then follow these 7 simple steps.
- Fill steaming pitcher ½ way full
- Lower steam wand to the surface of your milk
- Turn the steam wand on
- Aerate your milk until desired foam levels
- Plunge steam wand into your milk, allowing a whirlpool to swirl through the milk
- Heat to desired temperature
- Pour over espresso shots for perfect latte or cappuccino
How To Drink Your Coffee While Camping
So, you have chosen your brewing device and are ready to enjoy your coffee. But wait! No camp coffee is complete without the right camp mug. It should be sturdy and capable of keeping your coffee hot and delicious. Here are some awesome Corkcicle Mugs and Cups to check out before embarking on your camping journey.
Corkcicle mugs are beautifully designed and come with fitted lids to keep your coffee safe and warm. The bottoms of these mugs are no-slip and the handle is made for easy holding. They are also highly durable, ensuring you have the perfect coffee mug for years to come.
Corkcicle Mugs and Cups come in many different colors and styles. Pick the mug that best matches your personality!
Don't Forget Your Accessories
No camping trip is complete without the right nifty gadgets and accessories. At Cupper’s, we recommend checking out our Voile Straps. These are insanely useful and come in a variety of lengths.
Use the Voile Straps to secure, bundle, and carry your camping gear with ease! You could even use them to make a convenient coffee supplies holder on the exterior of your pack.
Coffee is more than just a morning beverage to outdoor enthusiasts. It is our lifeblood, our source of energy, and the supreme source of early morning comfort.
Before you set out on your next camping adventure, check out all of the products we have listed in this guide. You never know what you might need.
If you are looking for a new favorite coffee, make sure to explore our extensive line of coffees! We offer all sorts of different roasts, so you are guaranteed to find your ideal flavor profile. Now get out there and go camping!